Friday, January 31, 2014

Feline Flow: Introducing the Feline Feature!

Happy Friday, Fitness Friends!  We are happy to present to you the Feline Feature. We will be following two of our readers over the next 11 months on their journeys through fitness and health.  The last Friday of the month, we will post an update on their struggles and successes.  Each of our felines will have a personal hash tag so you can follow them and cheer them on!  Here they are:  

Meet Laura!
Hello! My name is Laura. I'm 33 years old, and I live in Denver, Colorado. While growing up, I was always the shortest and skinniest kid in my class. Somewhere along the line, I became the big girl. I am notorious for going all in when I initially start something, like a new diet or exercise program, then down the road, I grow bored with it and stop.  Over the past few years, I have been trying to take better care of myself both mentally and physically. I have made weight loss bets with friends, tried taking on a vegetarian lifestyle, and changed the direction of my personal life.  While these worked for a time, boredom eventually set in.  Both of these Fitness Felines (Rebecca and Andrea) have been great in motivating me, and I thank them for the opportunity to share my story and my journey! #FelineLaura #onmyway


Short Term Goals: 
  • Work my way up to a 20 second plank
  • Lose 3-5% of my body weight by the end of February
Long Term Goals:
  • Maintain healthier eating decisions and a regular exercise routine
  • Significant weight loss within the next year
  • Be more confident in myself
My Reason: I want to lead a healthier lifestyle, living a long life with those I love for a very long time.  I don't know what the future holds, but I know I want to be around as long as I can to see what the world has in store for me.
My Plan: Eat regularly every day and no skipping meals; consistent meal planning.  Cut out fast food/drive-thru; order more responsibly when at restaurants.  Begin using MyFitnessPal and MapMyWalk again.  Exercise every day.
_____________________________________________________

Meet Angela!
Hello all! My name is Angela and I’m 33 years old. I live in the healthiest city in the US, Denver, but unfortunately, have never fit into that category. I have struggled with my weight for most of my life and only after suffering two pregnancy losses did I begin to understand how much it was affecting not just my body, but my dreams. With the help of my fitness family at Fitness in the City and my SUPER supportive hubby, I was able to lose 35 lbs, and I now have a beautiful 10 month old son. I have now lost a total of 50lbs, but I can tell you it wasn’t due to healthy eating and exercise. Being a new mom has definitely presented its challenges. I’m so grateful to my friends at Fitness Felines for the opportunity to share my struggles and successes with other new moms, and hopefully learn a thing or two from the moms who already have a handle on it. #FelineAngela #onmyway

Short Term Goal:
  • Lose 15 pounds, putting me at a weight I haven't seen in over 10 years
Long Term Goals:
  • To have my actual weight match the fictional weight I put on my drivers license
  • To make a habit of 60 minutes of "play every day - it's not just for kids!
  • To set a good example for my son
  • For the first time in my life, I would like to have a healthy BMI

My reason: I lost my dad in 2006 to diabetes, and I know if I don’t get a handle on my health now, I could follow the same path of leaving my family much too soon. I want to be around for my son and not just live, but thrive.
My plan: It's a work in progress. Since I had a baby my plans have gone by the wayside. Finding a way to balance taking care of myself, my son, and our home, has proven to be difficult. I recently signed up for Emeals, a meal planning service, which has helped with dinners. However, I still struggle with figuring out what to eat during that day, mainly with how much and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment