Sunday, November 10, 2013

Beat the Eats: Week One Challenge

First and foremost, thank you for taking part in our very first program! The responses have been overwhelming (in the best way), and we are over the moon about how many of you want to continue, or reignite, a healthy lifestyle. We are excited to have you join us as we motivate each other to stay on track during the holidays. Remember, we are all in this together!

Inspire: The challenge this week is to eat breakfast every day. Sounds easy, right? But many of us have tight schedules, rushed mornings, or we don't eat enough. A cup of coffee just doesn't cut it. The old adage is true: breakfast is the most important meal as it revs your metabolism and gets your system ready to work for the day. Skipping it might increase your desire to binge throughout the day and cause your metabolism to slow down, as it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.  

Tip of the Week: Are you getting enough sleep?  According to a study in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, a bad night of sleep reduces the body's ability to process sugar the next day and leads to greater fat storage.  Additionally, a fitful night of sleep means you are more likely to bail on your workouts.  Strive for a restful night of sleep - seven to nine hours - so you can truly Rise and Shine! 

Feline Foodie Favorites: Skinnytaste.com is an incredible resource for recipes of all kinds.  Easy to follow, delicious, and convenient, as all calorie information is located at the end of each recipe.  A personal favorite is the Broccoli and Cheese Mini Omelets, great for making on Sunday for grab 'n' go breakfasts throughout the week!

Feline Feedback

Andrea: I love breakfast and could eat it at any time of the day, but I usually don't feel like eating until I'm at work. This works fine if I don't forget to bring it with me. That's when the occasional doughnuts in the office kitchen look tempting or the fast food drive-thru extra convenient. I'm usually pressed for time so my needs include the quick and nutritious, which don't always go hand-in-hand. I think the key, for me, will be being prepared. I will plan my morning meals each day this week and make sure I have what I need already at work so there will be no excuses. Also, for my early morning workouts I will bring a banana or other fruit to eat right after so I'm not starving on my way into the office. Maybe even stick a protein bar in my gym bag in case of an emergency. You never know how traffic will be.

Rebecca: About six months ago, I went vegan, so breakfast is generally a challenge in and of itself.  When you don't eat eggs, meat, or cheese, what is left?!  As a full-time working mother of two, time is precious and there isn't much of it in the mornings, so I know my biggest hurdle in completing this challenge is getting a protein-packed meal in a short amount of time.  If I do have the time, an almond milk and fruit smoothie with some superfood powder is a preferred on-the-go breakfast, but I also will have some oatmeal packets to keep in my office in case it's just not possible.  Having snacks and other healthy foods on hand makes it much easier to stay away from that candy dish at the reception desk!


Good luck to you, Fitness Friends!  Let us know your progress on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram. #beattheeats #fitfelines

~A&R
Inspire. Motivate. Move.







No comments:

Post a Comment