Monday, October 01, 2012

The Dish

Lately I've decided my diet needs a little makeover. Nothing too crazy but I figured it wouldn't hurt to expand my palate. For the most part I eat healthy and try to make wise choices, especially when out at restaurants. I think my main issue is meal planning (I'm always in a hurry it seems) and having limited knowledge cooking certain vegetables. I'd like to add more color to my plate and want to try new flavors. My current meals are just plain boring and that can lead to grabbing the not-so-good-for-you food, which seem more exciting. And who wants that to happen?  Plus, as a bonus, I am hoping it'll help shake those dreaded last ten pounds.

My first step was hitting the bookstore and library to educate myself and see what was out there. I checked out the latest diet and cookbook trends but kept my options open. At one point I might have stayed away from vegan or vegetarian books but I found I liked a lot of the recipes. I don't foresee myself giving up meat completely but I know I do need to cut out diary as much as I can, as my body doesn't work well with it. I was oohing and aahing over one book and a lady sitting nearby actually walked over to me to see what all the fuss was about. I was reading Alicia Silverstone's book "The Kind Diet" a friend had recommended to me. I was glad I could share my excitement with someone! Silverstone's book is great and I plan on trying out some of the delicious recipes. Even if you're not a vegan, I highly recommend checking it out. I also liked "Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook" there are some great recipes, like the Butternut Squash Ravioli, and her humor makes it a fun read. What I discovered while looking through tons of cookbooks and various diets is for the most part they say exact same thing  the only difference is some do it with flare while others read like text books. Make greens, vegetables and fruit the main part of your diet. It's really that simple. The fun part is trying creative ways to make it something you enjoy. I plan on posting some of the new dishes I make. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I can't wait to hear about some of your recipes! I feel like I have the same problems... as well as a slew of others when it comes to health but it is hard to get into the kitchen and be creative! Keep us posted! :-)

    ReplyDelete