Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Post...FINALLY!

It has taken me awhile to commence writing on here. I feel like I have a lot to share, both struggles and successes, but I either didn't have the time or the motivation to begin. Sometimes just getting started is the hardest part. This truly reflects my weight loss and journey to health as well.

My weight has been a roller coaster of ups and downs since I graduated from high school 13 years ago (yikes, that makes me sound old!). As an athlete, exercise wasn't something I learned to put in my daily life; it was already a part of it. Practice every day, sometimes twice a day, weight lifting P.E. classes, training camps in the summer...it was all I knew. So I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. I was burning upwards of 5,000 calories a day. Why wouldn't I be able to eat whatever I liked?

When I left for college, it didn't occur to me that continuing these eating habits would ultimately cause me to gain weight. But it (obviously) did. I would put on 20, lose 10, add 15, lose 5. Up. Down. Up. Down. Then I hit my late 20s, had kids, and my weight just skyrocketed.

Being a working wife and mother is a constant juggling act, and mastering priorities has been a challenge for me. I have always been one to put others first, and as a parent, you have to do just that. These beautiful beings of light I helped bring into this world are needy as all get-out. They rely on me and my husband for everything, which really doesn't allow for much "me" time.

About four months ago, I finally hit a wall. I became tired of looking in the mirror and not liking who I saw. I was tired of being tired: running out of breath just walking up the stairs, not being able to keep up with my two year old. As a former varsity athlete, this person looking back at me wasn't who I wanted to be anymore. If I didn't start putting myself first, I would lose who I am. And what kind of wife and mother can I truly be if I don't love myself ?

So, with the support of my husband and some good friends, I have begun a new chapter of my life. One that involves 4:30 a.m. wake up calls and local organic fresh produce; caloric intake and output; scales and nutrition tables; dumbbells and balance balls; sore muscles and burning lungs. And I'll tell you what: It feels fantastic.

Join us as we ride this crazy train all the way to our destination of good health, better choices and a great life.

TTFN,
Vega

No comments:

Post a Comment