Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A New Chapter


What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. - Henry David Thoreau
This week I began a new chapter in my fitness journey. I decided it was time to take action and get over the  plateau to reach my ultimate goal. I now meet with a trainer twice a week to focus on lifting so I can finally shed the last ten pounds I've mentioned so many times before. So what exactly is my goal? To be a stronger and leaner version of myself. I want to be able to do pull ups and not be afraid to sport a bikini. I want to prove to myself I'm able to succeed in being in the best shape possible. It may seem to be all about vanity but it's not. My trainer asked me my reasons because, as he put it, those reasons are what will get you out of bed in the morning. Besides the ones listed above, it's really about proving to myself I can do it. From high school until a few of years ago I was overweight. Once I managed to make a change and have a healthy lifestyle I shed the weight for the long term. Now, I'm close to becoming the toned and tight version of myself I have never known. For me it's not about being skinny, it's about feeling strong and healthy.

But it's going to take hard work. There's no fad I'm trying, no magic pill, simply eating right with exercise. Of course determination and perseverance help, too. I'm realistic as I know there will be days when I don't feel like waking up early to workout. And days where I'd rather eat a cheeseburger than leafy greens but succumbing to those temptations will not get the results I want. I was also given the suggestion to write a letter to myself stating how I'd feel if I quit. My trainer would then keep it and hand it over should I decide to throw in the towel. I will tell you now after I wrote it I plan to never read it again. I'm fortunate to have a great community around me full of support and love. It's important to surround yourself with cheerleaders as they can help keep you going when motivation is lacking.

Here's to the next 12 weeks of strengthening not only my body, but my mind and spirit.

Inspire. Motivate. Move.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment