Friday, December 16, 2011

GUEST POST: This Has Nothing To Do With Beginner's Luck, Angela S.

Angela S. 
"Being a beginner at anything is HARD work."
"It’s easy to get frustrated and down on yourself when you are just starting to try to get in shape.You can’t let those thoughts take over."
"You won’t give up."
These are just a few of the things I tell myself when I’m working out. I will admit that I say a few more things but they aren’t PG so I can’t share them. I have just begun my journey to getting healthy, and believe me, I’ve already felt like giving up. When those thoughts creep into my head, here are a few things that help get me back on track:

Find your inspiration locally
 Never look at the celebrities for motivation. They have personal trainers/chefs/assistants to help keep them on track. Enlist a friend to help you out. It’s even better if you can find someone who was once a “beginner” themselves. They have been through it and can help get you through those self-defeating moments. 

Cut yourself some slack
 It’s okay if you just can’t get through that whole boot camp/work out video/turbo kick class. Do what you can and remember, you’re there and that is more than most people can say.
                   
Give yourself some credit
 Just when you think you can’t do anymore, do one more. You are capable of more than you think.

Don’t look at the numbers
 It’s easy to look at the scale and get discouraged when it’s not moving. When that happens, look at the details. Think of how when you first started, you couldn’t even do (fill in the blank) and now you’re doing it. It may not be pretty or perfect but you’re doing it. 

These are just a few things that help keep me going. The most important one is to remember you are not doing this because you hate your body, but because you love it. I love myself and that’s why I’m on this journey. Anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment